11/12/21

Be authentic in this fraudulent employment market!

As one of the top career and resume consultants, I hear a lot these days about how job seekers may "sell themselves," "create a personal brand," and "convey their value proposition," to borrow a word I frequently employ. When you're trying to find work in a challenging employment market, all of this can be scary. I know because I've been there.


After seeing a fantastic concert last week, I've been thinking a lot about this. The performer in question is a young Scottish singer-songwriter currently on tour in the United States. Paolo Nutini's music is difficult to categorise because his most recent CD is an eclectic blend of reggae, bluegrass, acoustic folky stuff, a little rock... He's much more difficult to sum up as a performance. He isn't dressed in a fashionable manner. He's a dreadful dancer. He spends the most of the show slumped down in an awkward stance, seldom making eye contact with the audience - in fact, he closed his eyes for the majority of his New York performance. His performance style is so unusual that one woman mistook him for someone who had been drinking. 'I would have loved it a lot more if he hadn't been so annoying,' she said to her buddy.


Despite this, the show was enthralling! It was the most enjoyable concert I've attended in a long time. Why? I believe it's because the music and the performance were both really authentic. Paolo and his band were fully in touch with their tunes, and they emanated delight. An audience that sensed and returned the honesty amplified the joy.

Increasingly, When I work with my clients, I try to capture this essence. When I first started working with a team of resume consultants, I followed the crowd. I created resumes by copying what I observed others do. My resumes were fine, but they could have come from any of ten different resume services. That is no longer the case. Because, rather than trying to fit my clients' lives into a template, I'm focused on their uniqueness. On what distinguishes them from the rest of the pack. I'm also organising the resume to fully communicate their distinct personal value, which I've recognised. It makes my job a lot more enjoyable than it used to be, and it results in resumes that stand out from the crowd.

If you're seeking for job right now, take a close look at your CV and cover letters to determine if they convey what makes you stand out.

Want to learn more about the same? Get in touch with the best career guidance and resume writing services Canada today!

No comments:

Post a Comment